Selection Testing for Operations and Maintenance Training
Candidates must pass a selection test to be considered for TVA’s operations and maintenance training programs. These aptitude tests predict performance in training and on the job. If you apply for a position that requires testing and you are selected to be tested, you will receive an invitation via email.
The EEI (Edison Electric Institute) POSS (Plant Operator Selection System) and MASS (Power Plant Maintenance) tests are used for the following positions:
- Student Generating Plant Operator
- Instrument Mechanic Trainee
- Electrical Technician Trainee
- Mechanical Technician Trainee
- Hydro Technician Trainee
- Combustion Turbine Technician and Combined Cycle Technician Trainee
Preparing for the test may improve your performance on it. Note that calculators will be provided during the test. Information, test-taking tips and practice tests for the POSS and MASS tests are available on the Edison Electric Institute (EEI) website at secure.eei.org/eeitests/onlineproducts (use tva for name and recruit for password).
An EEI Test Preparation Course may be available at some community colleges. For more information, contact the schools listed below or other community colleges near you:
Electrical Training Alliance Aptitude Test (formerly known as AIR Testing)
The Electrical Training Alliance Aptitude Test is used for the following positions:
- Groundman Trainee
- Lineman Apprentice
- Electrician Apprentice
Test questions cover the following areas:
- Reading comprehension
- Mathematical usage
Practice tests can be found at www.electricaltrainingalliance.org/SamplePage and the following resources may also help you prepare for the exam:
- “501 Reading Comprehension Questions,” by Learning Express
- “1001 Math Problems,” by Learning Express
- Macmillan’s “Mechanical Aptitude and Spatial Relations Test”
- Barron’s “Arithmetic the Easy Way” and “English the Easy Way”
- Barron’s “Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery” (ASVAB)
- Arco’s “Everything You Need to Know to Score High on the ASVAB”
- “ASVAB/ AFCT: Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery/ Armed Forces Classification Test,” by Douglas A. Prybylowski
- “The Best Test Preparation for the ASVAB - Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery,” by M. Fogie
- “How to Do Your Best on Tests,” by Sarah Dulaney Gilbert
- “Test Taking Strategies, Vol. 1,” by Judi Kesselman-Turke
TVA is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable laws and regulations regarding equal employment opportunities. Any applicant or employee who believes s/he has a discrimination claim (including harassment or retaliation) must contact TVA’s equal opportunity compliance office within 45 calendar days of the event or action s/he believes to constitute discrimination, harassment or retaliation.
Non-U.S. residents should read TVA's citizenship policy.
Individuals interested in claiming veterans’ preference should read the information for claiming veterans’ preference.